Ingredients for 4 servings:
2 lb beef tripe, 1 lb beef shoulder, 2 large carrots, 1 parsley, 1 small celery, half a small red bell pepper, 1 onion, 1.5 tbsp. butter, 1.5 tbsp. wheat flour, 4 bay leaves, 10 allspice seeds, 10 peppercorns, 1 tsp. chilli flakes, 2 large garlic cloves, 2 tsp. dried marjoram, 1 tsp. nutmeg, 2 tsp. sweet paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash the beef shoulder, put it in a large pot and pour 0.6 gallon of cold water. Bring to a boil and then skim offthe scum.
- Peel the carrots, parsley, onion, celery and garlic, cut into pieces and add to the beef along with half of the allspice, half of the peppercorns, and half of the bay leaves. Cook for one hour until the meat is almost tender.
- Wash the beef tripe, cut into small strips, place in a pot, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and after a few minutes drain in a sieve. Then rinse under running water and cover with water again. Cook for 20 minutes. Drain and rinse again.
- Strain the beef stock through a sieve into another pot. Set aside the vegetables, spices and meat. Cut some of the vegetables and peppers into small pieces (the rest of the vegetables can be used as you like).
- Add the vegetables, chopped beef and drained tripe to the beef stock. Season with the remaining allspice, peppercorns, bay leaves, nutmeg and chilli flakes. Cook for one hour.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and fry, stirring, until the roux is lightly browned. Add the sweet paprika and fry for another minute. Slowly add a few tablespoons of stock, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Add the roux to the tripe and cook for a few more minutes. Season with salt, pepper and marjoram to taste.
- Serve with fresh bread.